Answered By: Travis Souther Last Updated: Jun 14, 2019 Views: 348
The Red Cross Sanitarium hospital opened in 1914 for indigent tuberculosis patients and was located off Gordon Road. The local Red Cross Society was pivotal in raising the funds for its creation. The hospital operated mainly off of donations and fundraising. In 1935, the Lion’s Club renovated much of the hospital.
The Sanitarium was forced to close in 1943 due to the difficulties imposed by an airport expansion overseen by the US Army Corp, who had taken over its operations during World War II.